Thursday, April 7, 2016

Nia's Nursery Project


I recently gave birth to my second child, a little girl named Nia. She is now 4 months old, and I've spent about one hour total working on things for Little Pop. I underestimated the amount of free time I would have, as baby #2 is very different from baby #1. Everything but eating, sleeping and bathing have taken a back burner at the moment.

As we <finally> settle into some kind of schedule that <finally> includes more than one hour of sleep per day, and less than 12 hours of crying, I hope to find a little time to share my creative endeavors, once again. 

Meanwhile, I'd like to reveal my big nesting project - Nia's nursery. In the last few months of pregnancy, I found the time and inspiration to redecorate the room. I decided to keep the pastel, beachy, shade of blue (greenish gray tinted aqua) in the room and make it girly by adding peach and pink. The blue color and the fact that I plan to spend lots of time on the nearby beach with her inspired some of the artwork and the happy summer floral fabrics, as well as the shag rug, that feels delicious under bare feet, in the color of beach sand. I also became a little obsessed with flamingos in the process, and I found a great watercolor print as a focal point over the changing station. Best of all, the fabrics and artwork can be easily switched out to give a new look as my little girl grows and changes.

Here is the "guest room" before (all pieces from my son's nursery):



This is the Nursery completed:
This quilt matched the wall color perfectly, and ties together the aqua, pink and peach palette of the room. 
My favorite flamingo is the first thing you see as you enter from the hallway.






A delicate mobile and simple watercolor prints add interest without overwhelming.

A very happy watercolor floral sheet adds pop


An alternative pattern I loved that also ties the color palette together


All in all, these are just things in a room. But I think it's a much more happy and relaxing room now, don't you?

Sources
Crib: Babyletto Hudson 3-in-1 Crib, purchased in 2012 from Albee Baby, but still widely available
Quilt: Laura Ashley "Ainsley" Quilt, Overstock.com (and occasionally Joss & Main)
Changing Pad: Serta Perfect Balance Organic Changing Pad, Amazon.com
Crib Sheets, Changing Pads and Euro Pillow Shams: Sewn from fabric from Fabric.com and Carousel Designs
Curtains: Sewn from White Seersucker and Blackout lining from Fabric.com
Throw Blanket: Quilted coral minky, Century21 store
Drawer Pulls: My Dear Watson Designs on Etsy.com 
Mobile: Sea Shells, Starfish and pearls, custom made (shop has closed, no longer available) Etsy.com
Watercolor Prints: Kelly Bermudez, Etsy.com. Frames from Amazon.com and Ikea.
Wicker Hampers: Set of 2, Overstock.com
Rug: Safavieh "Montreal" Shag Rug, Overstock.com
Lamp: Mix & Match base and shade from Target
Wall Paint Color: Benjamin Moore "Heavenly Blue 709" 



1 comment:

  1. Love! You did such a stunning job of decorating this room!

    ReplyDelete